Sunday, May 24, 2009

Together we can do great things, like beat Wolves!

Yesterday was GREAT fun! Greg and I met up around 2:30 to begin our adventure. I synced up my watch and my ipod, put on a white shirt, chose yellow to go over it, hopped on my bike and met him on the corner. He chose yellow as well, a surprising coincidence since he had so many to choose from. We both thought yellow would be under-represented. Anyway, it was cool that we were both the same color. Then we began our ride up to 60th & 2nd. Along the way we ran into a huge Turkish Festival! There was dancing and food and tons and tons of Turks in red and white, laughing and talking and having a good time. We tried these little green fruits that were hard and sour, almost like little apples but was smaller. Also some good ol' sesame bread.
Then we took the tram over to Roosevelt Island. Neither of us had been before, it was a fun skyfari sailing over the buildings and the river. The island was nice, I really wish we had gone earlier and had a picnic and I had brought mah hoop. The weather was perfect and the grass was filled with colorful shirts. After exploring for a bit we decided on a spot to settle and made flower chains and headstands (respectively... I can't do headstands).


Then as 4pm rolled around, on the dot, we pressed play. The adventure began. We stretched and high fived and square danced and followed unsuspecting strangers around. Of course the random Naptimes! As we all congregated in the big field, after listening to the story of Peter and the Wolf, we danced like we were from the 2020s and hit blue and green shirts with blow up bats. Of course in the end, we discarded our colors and joined forces to defeat the wolf. The culminating slow motion celebration should also be noted. I adore doing things for Improv Everywhere, I was so glad we made it. We chilled around the island, exploring and eating candy on the riverbank. I re-discovered the joy and delicacy of making a whistle through a piece of grass.






After the bike home I took a nap. It was the kind of nap that felt so familar and wonderful. Akin to the feeling of all the times growing up in San Diego, taking spas. I would take a spa at dusk, soaking up the warmth and the water on my skin, seeping in, warming my soul and making me pruney. As it would be time to get out, my parents would go inside to make dinner and I would gingerly step out, shaking the beads of water from my limbs. I would wrap up tight in my warm, clean worn towel and tiptoe across the concrete. The french doors would squeak as I sneak inside and almost every time, lay down on the carpet inside the door. The living room would be lit in such a way, the warmth of the water still hugging me inside and out, the comfort of the towel on my skin would lull me into a gentle and safe relaxation. By the time my mom was finished cooking dinner, I would be ready to eat, still in bikini and towel at the dinner table. That warm, safe comfortable feeling happened yesterday after being outside in the sun all day, coming home to my perfect apartment and being so calm and a peace to fall asleep without a care in the world.

And then Greg came over and we watched Mary Poppins with brownie sundaes. I haven't seen that movie in soooo many years, it was good times. What is Burt and Mary's relationship? "Lovers" right? But how does he know all her tricks? What if she never ages and she was his nanny? Weird. Oh boy. Everyone's laughing and floating on the ceiling. Summer has begun!!!

1 comment:

Annaleigh said...

You should add videos to all your posts!!! I loved it. And I love Mary Poppins too!